Two brothers


















I don't update this blog as often as my other one, I tend to wait until I have a completed drawing to post, or something to say, but it has been quite a while since I posted so an update is in order! Last week I heard that 'Paul' , above, has been juried into the 7th Annual Open Exhibition 2008, of the UK Coloured Pencil Society, to be held at the Royal West of England Academy, Bristol from the 3rd - 28th October. It's the first time I've entered anything so it's quite a thrill for me and particularly as I've only been using coloured pencils since January - it feels like confirmation that I'm on the right track.

Despite the recent China drawings, I've been suffering from a lack of motivation in recent months. Unusually this time, as I have so many drawings I'd like to do but for some reason, the spark wasn't there. But getting 'Paul' accepted was a huge boost, and got me thinking again. There are some portraits that I have in mind to do this year but I haven't been able to find the right reference material and it's been quite frustrating. However, I got out a couple of photos of my other brother, Steve, that I thought would get me started, and now I'm away! This is just a section of the work in progress (left). It's a combination of two photos, one for the pose and one for the lighting and detail. I'm using Lyra Rembrandt pencils as I want to try them out and also I want to avoid using watercolour pencils unless it is for sketching. These pencils feel very good to use but my only gripe is that the Yellow Ochres are not a match for my favourite Ochre Yellow in the Cretacolor Aqua Monoliths. Their Ochre Yellow together with English Red make perfect skin tones. The reds in the Lyra range are a good enough match but I miss that yellow. For some reason I can't find the same shade in another brand to match it. I changed tack with this one and started with a layer of 'Light Flesh' and then built up layers with yellow and red on top of that. The Lyra 'Magenta' is just as good as the Polychromos (that I had fun with for the opera singers) and really works wonderfully for deepening shady areas and emphasising the reds. Anyway, I have a long way to go with this. I'm trying different colour combinations out and doing lots of erasing trying to find something I'm comfortable with but I suspect every portrait will have similar challenges until I get a lot more experience with them.

Comments

Teresa said…
CONGRATULATIONS!!! So glad to hear your beautiful art is being recognized.

Also, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the different colors and brands of pencils... sometimes I find it difficult to decide what to use where and it helps to see what others are using.

Popular Posts